Saturday 23 July 2011

Life under the sea...

So I've been meaning to post this for ages. In the last term of my first year of uni, I did glass. And it was AMAZING!!!! I fell in love with this material, its colours, its texture and the possibilities.

So I began by looking at octopus'. I'm not sure why, I think it's because I'm missing my time of being a fishmonger! If only I could have my own shop and wouldn't smell of fish.... anyway back to the real world!

So I began by experimenting with sandblasting on glasses;
I loved these, and it was such an easy technique. The only tricky bit was cutting out the vinyl by hand however, it can easily be done on the computer. Something I'd like to try next year.

I then started to experiment with Bullseye coloured glass. And this is when I fell in love. We began by making small jewellery which look amazing when fixings are added. 


These are a few of the items that are for sale in my etsy shop. I really enjoyed making the jewellery and I had to make sure that I didn't keep all of it, as I so wanted to!! But I have made lots and will be making some more next year. So please have a browse of my shop, I'm adding more and more each day.

I then moved on to making images with the glass, I wanted to stay with my octopus theme and made this little guy.
I then experimented with making moulds to slump glass into. Again sticking with the octopus theme I made three octopus moulds to create three octopus formed pieces. I originally wanted to create bowls, however I was a little bit unsure as to how the mould detail would be once the mould had been slumped into a bowl shape. I decided to try it on a clear piece of glass and made a square bowl.


I love the bowl but it did lose a lot of the definition of the mould. So I decided to keep the colour bowls as flat wall pieces. The colours are amazing and so bright and bold. And the octopus image is really strong.


The backs of them had the indent of the mould and were a little unsightly so I decided to cover the backs in a matching felt to make them more presentable.



I was so pleased with the outcome of this project. I just wish that I had had more time and a lot more money for more glass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment